Wich average "out power" with PowerSDR ?

Die Hardware des Red Pitaya
Antworten
f6itu

Wich average "out power" with PowerSDR ?

Beitrag von f6itu » Di Jan 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi Red Pitaya Hams

I would like to know which power level do you use to reach the best tradeoff when transmitting with the Red Pitaya.

By default, if all TX params remain unchanged, the "full throttle" output power is around 0 dBm. The max output power reaches between 9 and 10 dBm when "power gain" settings is downed to 0.

Using a lower output signal would certainly extend the lifespan and lower the temperature of the RP, but the full dynamic of the signal will be also probably impacted.

So, between -10 and +10 dBm, which seems to be the best for your daily use ?

Many thanks to all
VY 73'
Marc f6itu

f6itu

Re: Wich average "out power" with PowerSDR ?

Beitrag von f6itu » Mi Jan 16, 2019 10:23 am

Answer to myself : the power variation of the "drive" cursor in PowerSDR gives a constant delta of 20 dB, and the "PA Gain" gives the possibility to "offset" these 20 dB, thus controling the max and min output power delivered by the Red Pitaya board.

If PA Gain is set to 38.8dB, the RP will deliver an RF signal from -10 to + 10 dBm (max power) on every bands (except on 6 meter, where the signal is lower, at 5.7 dBm)

That means that if you have an amplifier that needs, say, a source of -13 dBm to reach it's max output power, tuning the "PA Gain" at 61 dB will tell the Pitaya to never deliver more than -12 dBm (and giving -31 dBm when the "drive" cursor of PowerSDR is set to "1")
Your amp will never die or distord signal due to overdrive, you won't have to worry for your SSPA.

I asked another stupid question :-)

Antworten