Yaesu FT 857 PA Modul an Hermes?

Themen zur Peripheri für Hermes
Antworten
DH1KLM

Yaesu FT 857 PA Modul an Hermes?

Beitrag von DH1KLM » Mo Dez 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Hallo,
da sich im Januar oder Februar hoffentlich ein Hermes Board bei mir einfinden
wird, möchte ich jetzt schon mal um die Peripherie kümmern.

Ich hab mir jetzt mal verschiedene PDF's zum Hermes runtergeladen um mir
die verschiedenen Anschlüsse anzusehen. Dabei bin ich über den 10 Pin Alex Header J15
gestolpert.
Da ich mich mit SPI so gar nicht auskenne, hier meine Frage:
Ist es möglich ein FT 857 PA Modul daran zu betreiben und auch in PowerSDR zu konfigurieren?

Am Hermes J15 liegen folgende Signale an:

Pin 1 ANT_TUNE
Pin 2 +12V ALEX
Pin 3 ALEX_SPI_SDO
Pin 4 ALEX_SPI_SCK
Pin 5 ALEX_SPI_RX_LOAD
Pin 6 ALEX_SPI_TX_LOAD
Pin 7 FWD_PWR
Pin 8 PTT
Pin 9 REV_PWR
Pin 10 GND

Kann ich die SPI Signalpins mit dem PA Modul verbinden und wenn ja, wie?
Wie immer habe ich keine Ahnung von dem was ich hier schreibe, bitte seht es mir nach.

FT 857 PA.PNG
73 de Sigi, DH1KLM

f6itu

Re: Yaesu FT 857 PA Modul an Hermes?

Beitrag von f6itu » Di Dez 18, 2018 11:13 am

Hi Sigi, wie geht's ?

I'm afraid the answer is "definitely NO". SPI only defines the "transport" layer (clock, data, select...). The "contend" of the information transmited on this bus only depends on the firmware or software located at one of the end of the bus.

A precise description of the Hermes information layer ( meanings, timings, transmited bits etc) could be found on the HPSDR Alexiares manual.
https://www.tapr.org/pdf/ALEX_Manual_V1_0.pdf
page 15 and following

And if you intend to use the SPI bus of your FT 857, you'll have to modify the firmware of the Hermes board, as there is almost no chance that the Yaesu firmware respects the HPSDR Alex protocol.

You are exactly putting your fingers on the most sensible point of modern ham radio gears : standarization and openess. The openHPSDR group has defined a series of protocols (J16 Penny, J15 SPI, I/Q ethernet encapsulated etc) that are fully documentded, described and used for more than 10 years, "almost" without troubles. That makes all the difference with closed, undocumented, never updated proprietary protocols used by ham equipement vendors.

It could be possible to "translate" the OpenHPSDR SPI intructions into the Yaesu language (a simple microcontroler would probably do the job). From a pure developement perspective, I'm pretty sure it won't be a difficult task. But you'll have first to dump and "reverse" the Yaesu protocol (by chance, entry level bus analyzer are cheap) to establish a correspondance between the Hermes J15 protocol and the FT857 one. This is not impossible, it just will take you some time :- ))

Hope this answer gave you some understanding of the "protocol big picture". A guy like Pavel could certainly give you more precise explanations.

VY 73'
Marc f6itu

DH1KLM

Beitrag von DH1KLM » Mi Dez 19, 2018 11:06 am

Hello Marc,

thanks i'm fine. How about you?
Ok thanks for this important informations.
The reason for the question was an offer about a FT-857d with a defective motherboard and a working PA.
Reverse engineering the Yaesu Protocol is therefore not possible and maybe not ultimately effective.
I would have liked that very much. But as always, I imagined that too easily.

Maybe I will finish all my Electrolab boards if I find an OM here that will help me with the filterboards with final measurements and possible fine-tuning, since I do not have the necessary skills and equipment.

Time will tell.
73 de Sigi, DH1KLM

f6itu

Beitrag von f6itu » Do Dez 20, 2018 11:43 am

Hi Sigi

Don't hesitate to contact me in case of difficulties concerning the Alex Retrofit...

Concerning the reverse engineering of the FT857, it's definitely not something complex, but it's a long and really boring job. The game consists in testing the two "latch" IC's and injecting serial datas on the "other side" of the latch (the two 4094B on the schematic).

you can use a low cost logic analyzer to check the band and TX switching on outputs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-Logic- ... :rk:2:pf:0

and the SPI bus could easily be emulated with a simple Arduino nano.

From a technical point of view, this is not "rocket science". You only have 14 output to "reverse", and the 8 bit serial input of the latche's "command word" is clearly defined... keep your FT857 frontend, I'm pretty sure you will succeed when you'll have the time to jump into it

73'
Marc

Antworten